Thomas is an integral part of the firm’s Technology, Media and Telecommunications practice group, working across commercial IP and entertainment & media mandates, at Spice Route Legal. Thomas has advised some of India’s most prolific broadcasting and production houses and brings to the table a keen grasp of the complex regulations that govern India’s entertainment and media houses, and a nuanced appreciation of all things intellectual property.
He has drafted and negotiated agreements related to the acquisition and syndication of movies, web series and sports content, distribution of channels and platforms, software licensing, talent management, celebrity rights, music rights, licensing of audio and visual content, and event management, as well as in relation to the advertising, merchandising, development and publication of video games and e-sports etc.
Recently, Thomas has advised on –
- a dispute before multiple domestic and international fora, including the High Court of Mumbai and the Intellectual Property Appellate Board, involving questions of law relating to the transborder reputation of trademarks;
- a global filing for trademarks in over 40 countries and an initiation of disputes in various jurisdictions, to reassert rights over the client’s brand;
- pre-litigation strategy for multiple cases of domestic trademark infringement intellectual property;
- successfully refuting claims of trademark infringement, passing off, misuse and violation of trade dress by a client, in response to a large competitor’s cease-and-desist notice; and
- multiple technology licensing arrangements across industries, including health tech, chemicals etc.
Thomas is an avid follower of the indie music scene and represents a number of India’s leading musicians, as they grapple with the transition of the industry from an informal economy to a highly formal, digital economy.